If you are a workaholic, committed to work too much or just spend your time between work and office while doing nothing else during the week, then, chances are that you may start to feel overwhelmed, exhausted and even depressed. Below you can find some hints for motivating yourself and avoid feeling burned out.
- Sleep Well: A good night sleep is a key element for waking up fresh the following day. On average people need 8 hours of sleep. Therefore, if you sleep less than 8 hours the night before, it is very likely that you will feel less energetic and as a result, it will be more difficult for you to concentrate on your work.
- Learn to Say No: You cannot keep up with every task and project. You have to set your boundaries and learn to say no to meaningless tasks for your career. Every promise you made adds another work on your plate and divides your energy. When you divide your energy between many tasks, you start to lose your efficiency and hence, you under deliver.
- Exercise: Regular exercising reduces stress and decreases tension. Also, it boosts your mood and makes you happier. Thus, it prevents depression. Exercising after work or during lunch hour will help you clear your mind, relax and recharge your brain. Therefore, you can become more productive and your performance increases.
- Have a Hobby: Having a hobby outside of work makes you happier as well as lets you use different skillsets. It also helps you meet new people who share a common interest with you. Therefore, you can at least talk about something other than work and take a break.
- Ask for Help: When you are stressed or feel burned out, ask for help. You don’t need to get embarrassed for asking help from your coworkers. Probably, you will reach a solution or finish off your task much faster with two or more people compared to you working alone. Don’t forget that nobody can do everything alone and that is why generally people work in teams.
- Use Your Vacation Days: Some people like to save up their vacation days and rarely use them. However, the goal of a vacation day is to give you some time during the year to relax, have fun and spend more time with your family and friends. Therefore, don’t be one of those people and use your vacation days. Preferably, change your location and go to another city or even another country to do your vacation. I am sure you will feel much happier and energetic when you get back to work.
Republished by permission. Original here.
Burned Out at Work Photo via Shutterstock
Source: Small Business Trends